Lake District Visitor Information
Not only does the Lake District offer stunning scenery and terrain ideal for a wide range of adventurous Lake District activities, but there is also a tremendous amount of alternative attractions to explore such as historical houses, museums, nature reserves, and a host of beautiful towns and villages abundant with shops, cafes and accommodation. So whether you want to don your hiking boots, or prefer to soak up the atmosphere in a lake shore café, the Lake District offers so much for so many tastes and we hope the following information sets you off in the right direction.
Lake District Activities
If you are looking for adventurous outdoor activities then we should be on your ‘to do’ list. From corporate groups looking for a charity challenge fundraiser to adventurous family activities, our expertise and facilities allow us to offer a spectrum of options. All of our Lake District activities and events are flexible to the individual or group to ensure everyone gets the most out of their Lake District outdoor adventure.
- Challenge Events - Our Lake District challenge events are designed to put you through your paces while immersing you in the surrounding beauty and ruggedness
- Team Building - Challenge your team or simply have some fun away from the office on our Team Building Packages
- Group Activities - For friends, families or something technical we have a wide variety of Activity Options to ensure the level of adventure is just right for everyone
- Indoor Activities - For those rainy days in the Lake District when you'd like to do something active but also stay dry take a look at our Indoor Activity Centre
- Accessible Activities - We work hard to make our activities as inclusive as possible, but if you have a physical disability we may not always be able to offer you the best option. The Calvert Trust has fantastic facilities and is based 20mins away from our estate and offers activity breaks for individuals and families living with disabilities. For more details visit the Calvert Trust Website ‘It’s what you can do that counts’
- Equipment Hire - When it comes to boats our friends at Glenridding Sailing Centre have got it covered, but if you're looking for wetsuits, tents, crampons and ice axes and various other bits of outdoor kit then we can help here at Distant Horizons. For some 2 wheeled adventures go to the Visit Eden website for various locations around the area to hire.
Areas of interest
- Lake District - www.lakedistrict.gov.uk: A comprehensive guide to the Lake District National Park. The website covers all aspects from how to help with looking after the Lake District to where to stay and visit
- Cumbria - www.visitcumbria.com: For everything Cumbria go to Visit Cumbria
- Eden Valley - www.visiteden.co.uk: Although Cumbria tends to be best known for the National Park there are some real gems on the outskirts including the Eden Valley. Packed with history, fantastic road cycling routes and even better pubs to visit along the way, this is an area not to missed
- The Cumbria coastline - www.cumbriancoastline.co.uk: Cumbria not only has some of the UK’s biggest mountains it also boasts golden sandy beaches, harbour towns and sea life centres. For more information on Cumbria’s’ west coast go to Cumbrian Coastline
- Tourist Information Centres - If you would like leaflets on attractions and utilise local knowledge face to face most towns have a Tourist Information point where you can find information specific on the area
- Downloadable leaflets - daysoutonfo.co.uk details a whole host of attractions. Pick an area of interest, view what's on offer and then choose a leaflet to view
- Family focused - Day Out With The Kids is a website specifically for families, providing information on family friendly venues and activities
- Historical places and spaces - If history is a main interest Visit Cumbria has it covered
- Culture - If you are looking for festivals, shows or the arts take a look at Cumbria Live
- Public Transport - If you would like to leave the car at home the Travel Line provides bus and train timetables to help you find your way
- Weather - Whatever you plan it’s always nice to have a weather forecast to hand. For mountain and outdoor activities in the National Park Weatherline is a great choice . For general weather forecasts got to the Met Office
We hope you find this information helpful. Have a great time in the Lake District and Cumbria.
« Back to News